?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

A healthy teenager is dead within days and officials say it’s all because of a rare brain-eating amoeba she likely contracted swimming in Cecil County creeks.

While very rare, that amoeba can travel through the nose into a person’s brain, nearly always causing death.

19-year-old Kerry Stoutenburgh was visiting family in Cecil County where she went swimming in multiple freshwater creeks.

Doctors say after the teen returned home, she starting having headaches. Within days a brain-eating amoeba had killed her.

Cecil county health officials say the amoebas live in fresh warm water, but cases like this are rare.

If people get contaminated water up their nose can in rare circumstances lead to a meningitis encephylitis one of several brain-eating amoeba cases reported nationwide this year.


What I don't like about this article is that they make it so vague. It's not the water itself. I read an article like this (and I think the death happened some where in the Carolinas) years ago and I remembered being concerned because I did swim in warm fresh water at the time when I visited my grandparents in the Northern Neck of VA. What they said in that article is that it's when you kick up the bottom of the lake, river, or creek that you could have the problem because that's where this amoeba is suppose to be at. So, when this shit is kicked up and it goes into your nose...that's when you have a problem. I reckon if it was just the water in of itself that there would be more cases than they are.